Original title: Peter Gabriel - Classic Albums: So
Genre: Documentary, Rock
Director: George Scott
Cast and crew: Peter Gabriel, Daniel Lanois, Kevin Killen, Jerry Marotta, Laurie Anderson, Tony Levin, Manu Katch and more.
• The latest addition to the acclaimed & award winning Classic Albums series tells the story behind the making of Peter Gabriel's 1986 album So. It was Gabriel's fifth solo album and the first one to have a title (the others all having just been called Peter Gabriel ). The album spawned a number of hit singles on both sides of the Atlantic including Sledgehammer, Big Time, Don't Give Up (a duet with Kate Bush) and In Your Eyes which drove So to multi-platinum sales, the No.1 spot in the UK and No.2 in the US. So was very much an album of the MTV generation and the distinctive videos for tracks like Sledgehammer, Red Rain, Big Time and Don't Give Up were key factors in the album's success. The program features contributions from many of those involved in the making of the album and the videos including Peter Gabriel himself, co-producer Daniel Lanois, engineer Kevin Killen and musicians Jerry Marotta, Laurie Anderson, Tony Levin and Manu Katché amongst many.
Bonus Material (HD; 35:33) includes:
• Big Time provides some background on this tune, including tyring to synch various tracks and ideas with each other.
• Amnesty Tours has Gabriel talking about working with Bono to get the public more aware of Amnesty International.
• The Making of 'Sledgehammer' talks a lot about Gabriel's sense of humor and how that informed the famous music video.
• In Your Eyes is a really interesting little piece on the multi-layering that created one of the most memorable songs off of the album.